Click here to skip to main content.
 
Repository Cheshire Record Office
Level Collection (Fonds)
Reference D 4304
Title Bradwall Reformatory School, later Bradwall Training School
Date 1855-1932
Description The records include managers' minutes, 1887-1922; school rules, 19th-20th centuries; HMI reports, 1889-1912; printed material, including sports programmes, reports, registers of Probation Officers and a history of the school, 19th-20th centuries
Administrative History Bradwall Reformatory School, Sandbach, was founded in 1855 by G W Latham of Bradwall Hall, Sandbach. For 30 years he took on responsibility for its finances and managed the training. Following his death, a public meeting in Sandbach in 1887 resulted in the formation of a guarantee fund and a committee of managers was appointed.

In September 1908 it was decided to drop the word Reformatory and the name was changed to Bradwall Training School. The school could accommodate 70 boys (aged over 11 years) and this was the average number attending.

In February 1918 demand led the Managers, acting on the instruction of the Home Office, to take over the Cheshire Agricultural and Horticutural College of Holmes Chapel from the County Council for a 2 year period as an annexe to Bradwall. This proved successful and an agreement was made between the County Council and Managers and the lease transferred in 1919. The new premises could accommodate 125 boys.

In December 1920, the Bradwall premises were given up after 65 years and the schoolroom was transferred to Holmes Chapel. In 1925 the name was altered to Saltersford School as the premises were originally known as Saltersford Hall.
Related Material See also D 8074
Powered by CalmView© 2008-2010