Click here to skip to main content.
 
Repository Cheshire Record Office
Level Collection (Fonds)
Reference DCH
Title Cholmondeley of Cholmondeley Estate records
Date 12th century-20th century
Description The Cholmondeley estate records consist of several deposits (about 290 boxes and numerous volumes), mostly deposited in 1952 and 1953. The majority of volumes and more recent papers were transferred in 1970. The main groups now deposited comprise: Title deeds and leases, Cheshire and elsewhere, 12th century - c1900; Rentals, surveys and accounts; Estate and household correspondence and vouchers; Manorial papers (Nantwich and elsewhere), 14th century - 19th century.
Administrative History The family can be traced back to the eleventh century. Cholmondeley township formed part of the ancient barony of Malpas. By the fourteenth century, manorial rights were claimed by Richard de Cholmondeley in Cholmondeley and Christleton. In Edward IV's time, the family held several manors and lands in the Malpas area, Nantwich, Chester, in some other Cheshire townships and near Prees in Shropshire. In the 1720s the manor of Frodsham was added to the family's titles. Other branches eventually stemmed from the Cholmondeleys of Cholmondeley - at Vale Royal (Cheshire), briefly at Nantwich, Buerton and Chorley (Cheshire), Whitby (Yorkshire), Coppenhall (Staffordshire) and Easton (Lincolnshire). The youngest surviving son of Dame Mary Cholmondeley, Thomas Cholmondeley of Vale Royal (1595-1653) founded that branch which in 1821 acquired the title of baron Delamere. [For records, see DBC]. The branch at Cholmondeley gradually acquired several titles: 1611 baronetcy 1628 viscountcy of Kells (Ireland) 1646 barony of Wich Malbank 1647 earldom of Leinster 1706 viscountcy of Malpas, earldom of Cholmondeley 1715 barony of Newborough (Ireland) 1716 barony of Newburgh [Anglesey] 1815 marquisate of Cholmondeley 1815 earldom of Rocksavage Descent of Cholmondeley of Cholmondeley, 16c-20c Sir Hugh jun (1552-1601) m Mary Holford (1563-1625); Son Robert (1584-1659), baronet 1611, viscount Kells 1628, baron Wich Malbank 1646, earl of Leinster 1647, died without legal issue; Brother Hugh (1591-1655); Son Robert (d 1681), viscount Kells 1661; Son Hugh (d 1725), Lord Cholmondeley of Nantwich 1689; Viscount Malpas, 1st earl of Cholmondeley 1706; Brother George (d 1733), 2nd earl 1725, baron Newborough (Ireland) 1715, baron Newburgh, 1716; Son George (1703-1770), 3rd earl 1733; Son George (1724-1764), died before his father; Son George James (1749-1827), 4th earl 1770, 1st marquis 1816; Son George Horatio (1792-1870), 2nd marquis 1827; Brother William Henry Hugh (1800-1892), 3rd marquis 1870; Son Charles George (1829-1869), earl Rocksavage; Son George Henry Hugh (1858-1923), 4th marquis 1884; Son George Horatio Charles (1883-1968), 5th marquis 1923; Son George Hugh (d 1990), 6th marquis, 1968; Son David George Philip (1960-), 7th marquis, 1990 The Rocksavage Estate In the late eighteenth century, the Cholmondeley family acquired the estates of the Savage family of Rocksavage (Clifton). The Savages obtained Clifton by marriage in the late fourteenth century. They built a new house at Clifton in 1565 which from 1575 became known as Rocksavage. The old hall at Clifton was used as outbuildings. This new hall became derelict by the early nineteenth century. Sir Thomas Savage of Rocksavage, baronet was created Viscount Savage in 1626. His successor, Sir John, Lord Savage was created Earl Rivers in 1639 in right of his mother. Richard Savage, second Earl Rivers had several children: Thomas, viscount Colchester; Richard, who succeeded but died without legitimate issue whereupon his title passed to his cousin John Savage, a Catholic priest, who refused the title; Elizabeth, who married James, fourth earl of Barrymore, the son of George, second earl of Cholmondeley. A settlement of 1711 and an act of Parliament of 7 Geo I gave John Savage a life interest. On the death of the last Savage, Earl Rivers in 1712, without a male heir, the estates passed to Elizabeth. On her death in 1720, they passed to her daughter Penelope Barry, a minor, who in 1726 married the Hon James (later General) Cholmondeley. On his death in 1775 and Penelope's in 1786 without heirs, the Clifton estates passed to James' great nephew, the fourth earl (and later first marquis) of Cholmondeley, George James. The title of earl of Rocksavage was conferred via the marquisate and later became the customary title of the marquis' heir. The Rocksavage estate records form part of this collection but are to be found mainly in sections /E, F, M, FF, GG, II, JJ, QQ, RR. The estate of the Savages of Rocksavage continued to be administered separately until late in the nineteenth century. According to a survey of 1811, the Cholmondeley family estate lay in the townships of Bickerton, Bickley, Bulkeley, Cholmondeley, Chorley, Edleston, Halton, Hampton, Larton, Nantwich, Norbury, Ridley and Tushingham. According to the same survey the Rocksavage estate lay in Barrow, Bradley, Frodsham, Halton, Helsby, Huxley, Nantwich, Netherton, Overton, Rocksavage, Runcorn and Woodhouses. A portion of the Rocksavage estate was separately accounted for to Lord Henry Cholmondeley for the period 1829 to 1870. It comprised Hatton, Bradley, Barrow, Huxley, Newton and Netherton.
Powered by CalmView© 2008-2010