Click here to skip to main content.
 
Repository Cheshire Record Office
Level Collection (Fonds)
Reference DET
Title Egerton of Tatton
Date 1228-1961
Description The collection consists of records of Hundred and Manor courts, 1580-1877, in Bucklow, Buglawton, Heaton Norris, Nether Knutsford, Rostherne and Tatton, and Withington; title deeds to properties in Ashley, Ashton upon Mersey, Bollington, Bowdon, Buglawton, Eccleston, Hale, High Legh, Hockenhull and Tarvin, Knutsford, Lostock Gralam, Marple, Marthall, Mere, Millington, Minshull Vernon, Mobberley, Ollerton, Ringway, Rostherne, Tabley, Tarvin, Tatton, Thelwall and Timperley, c1228-1952; legal case papers, 1739-1851; estate surveys and valuations, 1750-1806; leases and rentals, c1700-1961; estate accounts and correspondence, 1766-1912; maps and plans, 1726-1936; housekeeping records, including accounts, 1808-1916, inventories, 1852-1908, recipe book, c1685-18 cent; log books of schools in Rostherne, 1863-1915, and papers relating to Ollerton School, 1837-1898; and family and personal papers, 1571-1955, including journals of travels in Europe, Far East and India, 1852-1854, and records relating to the last Lord Egerton's business interests and activities in East Africa, and his flight logbook, 1909-1914.

Some family and estate records, principally of the eighteenth century, and which supplement those held here, are held at the John Rylands Library, University of Manchester. The National Trust retains at Tatton Park records relating to the art collection, family and household memorabilia, and plans relevant to the maintenance of the fabric.
Administrative History The Egerton family acquired the manor of Tatton in 1598 on the death of Richard Brereton, when all his estates were settled on his brother-in-law, Sir Thomas Egerton (1540-1617). The estate passed through the male line until 1780 when Samuel Egerton bequeathed Tatton to his sister Hester, wife of William Tatton of Wythenshawe, who reverted to her maiden name, and was succeeded by her son, William Egerton (1749-1806). The National Trust acquired Tatton after the death of Maurice, 4th and last Baron Egerton, in 1958.
Related Material Manorial court records deposited by solicitors see D 6915
Powered by CalmView© 2008-2010