Click here to skip to main content.
 
Repository Cheshire Record Office
Level Collection (Fonds)
Reference DRY
Title George Roylance And Co Ltd, Builders And Timber Dealers, Macclesfield, records
Date 1895-1967
Description The records include plans and drawings of a number of important Macclesfield public, industrial and commercial buildings. The surviving records also include some employee records from the first half of the 20th century. There are also some records relating to buildings in Congleton, Bollington, North Rode, Buxton and Leek.
Location Parts of this collection held offsite - consult staff
Administrative History George Roylance was born in 1836 and by the mid 1850s was carrying out small building jobs such as kitchen extensions and privies in Macclesfield. In time he became the town's main master builder, with a large yard and premises at Waters Green and a brickworks on the Buxton Road. During his firm's heyday, in the 1880s and 1890s, Roylance constructed many of Macclesfield's important public and private buildings - among them being the Arighi Bianchi building, the former District Bank in Jordangate, the former School of Art in Park Green, the West Park Museum and Trinity Chapel. The firm had one wholly owned subsidiary - Cheshire Builders Supplies Ltd.
URL http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/records.aspx?cat=017-dry&cid=0
Powered by CalmView© 2008-2010