Click here to skip to main content.
 
Repository Cheshire Record Office
Level Collection (Fonds)
Reference ECC 9
Title Hoylake United Reformed Church
Date 1870-1992
Description Minutes from church meetings; accounts; property and premises records; trust and registration papers; papers relating to church services and activities; church publications and historical records and photographs. Collection also includes records of the Sunday School, the Women's Guild of Christian Science, the London Missionary Society Women's Auxillary and the Literary Society.

From accessions 4682 and 4745.
Extent 94 items
Administrative History The first Hoylake Congregational meeting took place in 1874, in a rented chapel. After some years, a church building and Sunday school was erected, opening of 30 October 1884. By 1903, there was insufficient room for the growing congregation and fund raising began for a new church. The foundation stone was laid on 22 March 1905, and the new church opened on 18 May 1806. The old church was kept as a hall.

In 1940, during the Second World War, Hoylake Church was hit by incendiary bombs and badly damaged by fire. The building was not used again until 1950, following repair work. In 1972, Hoylake became a United Reformed Church following the union of Presbyterians and Congregationalists. Due to a decline in attendance, Hoylake merged with St Andrew's Church in Meols in 1987, services thereafter being held in Meols. The premises in Hoylake were maintained as property of the URC, and received grade II listed status in 1991.

For further information on the history of the Church see ECC 9/2682/60, which is a 12 part newsletter published by St Andrews URC.
Related Material The United Reformed Church collection (ECU).
URL http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/records.aspx?cat=017-ecc9&cid=0
Powered by CalmView© 2008-2010