Click here to skip to main content.
 
Repository Cheshire Record Office
Level Collection (Fonds)
Reference EDD
Title Dean and Chapter of Chester records
Date 16th century - 20th century
Description Foundation: Copies of letters patent of 1541, cathedral statutes of 1544 and related papers 1663, 1707, 1928, 1935, 1967, 19th cent. (EDD 2, 3913)
Administration: Chapter Clerk: conges d'elire, letters commendatory 1689-1939 (EDD 2574, 5666); mandates for installation of bishops and related papers 1771-1955 (EDD 2, 6080); copies of leases, presentations and grants of office 1602- 1813 (EDD 13); chapter books 1660-1993 (EDD 2, 3913, 5666); seal record book, minutes and notes of meetings 1841-1919; chapter attendance record 1951-72, common place books 1869-1978 (EDD 3913); letter books 1942-66, invoice books 1962-6 and correspondence 1812-19 (EDD 2); schedules of cathedral records 1813- 1924 (EDD 13); papers concerning personnel 1622-1954, lists of cathedral officials 1541-1975 (EDD 2, 3913) Treasurer: account books 1542-1824, annual accounts and statements 1824-1961, journals 1867-1971, ledgers 1892-197 1, cash books 1893 -1975 (EDD 3913, 4197); vouchers 1714-1938(EDD3, 4, 2574, 4197); choristers' wages accounts 1816-1939, dean and chapter residences accounts 1962-70 (EDD 3913)
Registration, Services etc: registers of baptisms, marriages and burials in the cathedral 1687-1981, banns registers 1870-1940, episcopal and archiepiscopal marriage licences, mainly 20th cent. (EDD 3913); banns certificates for St Oswald's parish 1754-1809 (EDD 5); papers relating to forms and conduct of services 1847- 1917 (EDD 2, 5, 13)
Cathedral Fabric: Papers relating to the fabric of the cathedral 1701-1989, including Thomas Harrison's restoration, 1818-20; R C Hussey's restoration 1841-65 (EDD4, 6080); Sir George Gilbert Scott's restoration, 1868-73, including diaries of his clerk of the works, James Frater, 1870-5 (EDD 3913) and A W Blomfield's restoration, 1880-1900 (EDD 4); minutes and annual reports of the Friends of the Cathedral 1939-58, accounts of Restoration Fund 1920-67, minutes of trustees of the Cathedral Fund 1968-83 (EDD 3913); papers relating to the Broiderers' Guild 1957-66 (EDD 13)
Schools Papers relating to educational establishments at Bromborough 1892-1960, Chester Blue Coat Hospital 1900, Chester Choir School 1852-1975, Chester College 1840-1903, Chester Diocesan School 1814-1908, Chester Kaleyards Infant School 1892-1918, Chester King's School 1820-1960, Chester Queen's School 1899-1912, Chester St Oswald's CE School 1912, Chester Sealand Road CE School 1903-4, Tarporley 1663-1945, West Kirby 1811-16 (EDD 7, 6080)
Charities: small collection of papers relating to charities administered by the dean and chapter 1662-1938, including Barbara Dod Charity 1721-1938 and Dean Ardeme's Charity 1889 (EDD 8)
Estates: General: Receiver's accounts c. 1551-1644 (EDD 10, 4197), rentals 1816,1839,1846,1936, copies of leases 1763-1815, particulars of fee farm rents 1840-9, correspondence and papers, including those of the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, 1749-1923. Small amounts of material for properties in the following: Bache 1816,1845, Bruera 1919, Great Saughall 1852, Hilbre Island 1813, Whitby 1871-4 and elsewhere (EDD 10) Advowson and rectories: papers relating to dean and chapter livings, including some presentation papers, particulars of income, orders in council, leases, agreements, plans and glebe and tithe papers relating to Bromborough 1827-c.1907, Capenhurst 1855, Chester St Oswald 1848-1916, Coddington 1590-1953, Dodleston 1861-1914, Eastham 1854-1917, Frankby 1861, 1885, Handley 1810, 1816, Neston 1829 -1909, Northenden 1781-1908, Shotwick 1822-6, Stoke 1876-1906, Tarporley 1835-1905, Thurstaston 1835-1905, West Kirby 18th cent.-1921 (EDD 6) Chester: rentals and accounts forChester, Stoke and Stanney estates 1866-1926, leases and agreements 1634- 1958, surveys 1782-1889, valuations c. 1811-95, inventories, valuations and papers concerning the deanery, property within the cathedral precincts ete 1729-1947 and in and around Abbey Square, Abbey Street, St Werburgh Street (including correspondence with John Douglas, architect), Northgate Street and elsewhere 1871-1958, tenancy and other agreements 1871-1958 (EDD 10); maps and plans 1789-20th cent. (EDD 12) Tarporley: rentals and accounts 1726- 1926, vouchers 1756-1844, leases 1705-1901, tenancy agreements and papers, orders of exchange and related papers 1864-1927, chapter resolutions concerning Tarporley estate 1736-1837, surveys 1876-1901, correspondence, sales particulars and other papers 1725-1932 (EDD 10); maps 1865-c.1921 (EDD 12) Stoke and Stanney: rentals 1890-1926, tenancy agreements and related papers 1885-1929, survey and map 1736, terriers 1912, 19 18, other papers 1883-1938 maps and plans 1842-c. 1859 (EDD 10, 12) Manorial records St Thomas's Court: court book 1663-1728, suit rolls and papers 1681-1814; Tarporley and Utkinton Court papers 1810, 1815 (EDD 11, 4197) Personal Papers Archdeacon Burne's collection of original documents, historical notes, photographs and newspaper cuttings, including three volumes of notes on Chester Cathedral, 14th-20th cent.; Dean Addleshaw's notes and correspondence, including notes on the restoration of Chester Cathedral 20th cent. (EDD 13); diary of Henry Grantham, minor canon and curate of St Oswald's 1874-5 (EDD 2) Maps, illustrations and photographs Maps and plans of the city and county of Chester, including the estates of the dean and chapter 16th-20th cents. (EDD 12, 3913); prints and illustrations of the cathedral and related properties 18th- 1 9th cents. (EDD 3913); volume of caricatures of cathedral personnel, and portraits and biographies of the bishops of Chester, 19th cent. and photographs of cathedral architecture and personnel 19th-20th cents. (EDD 2/44, 3913/16)
Administrative History The former abbey of St Werburgh was one of the new Henrician foundations reconstituted as the cathedral of Christ and St Mary in 1541. It was provided with an establishment of a dean and six prebendaries and an endowment of nine manors and other possessions in Chester and Cheshire formerly belonging to the abbey. Included in this was the bailiwick of St Thomas's Court, the private court of the dean and chapter, inherited from the abbot. Some dean and chapter records, which passed to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners when certain estates were surrendered under the nineteenth-century reforms, have now been deposited in the Cheshire Record Office and are listed under CHURCH COMMISSIONERS. Chiefly responsible for the custody of the records were the Chapter Clerk and the Treasurer.
URL http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/records.aspx?cat=017-edd2&cid=0
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/records.aspx?cat=017-edd&cid=0
Powered by CalmView© 2008-2010