Click here to skip to main content.
 
Repository Cheshire and Chester Archives and Local Studies Service
Level Collection (Fonds)
Reference EUC 9
Title Brook Street, Knutsford and Allostock Unitarian Chapels
Date c1640-2016
Description MINISTER: Registers and related papers [1660]-1984; Ministers' meetings 1691-1745; Notes and memoranda [1640]-1938.
SECRETARY: Committee minutes 1885-1975, Annual reports 1889-1934, Calendars 1901-1930, Visitors' books 1930-1970, Miscellaneous 1896-1988.
TRUSTEES: Title deeds and related papers 1699-1984, Certificate for marriages 1837, Plans c.1951.
TREASURER: Accounts, cash books etc 1849-1976.
SUNDAY SCHOOL SECRETARY: Class register 1937-1938, Accounts 1835-1930.
ALLOSTOCK DAY SCHOOL MANAGERS: Minutes, accounts and papers 1878-1910
Extent 19
Administrative History Brook Street Chapel, Knutsford was established c.1688, followed in 1689 by Allostock Chapel. They remained separate and independent chapels until 1822 when Joseph Ashton, already minister at Brook Street, was appointed to Allostock. Thereafter, both chapels were always served by the same minister. From 1885 both chapels were being administered by the same committee. By the 1970s there was no congregation at Allostock, but the Chapel was also used as a school, being taken over by Cheshire Education Committee in 1910, while continuing to be used for worship. The school closed in 1983 and sold in 1984.
Powered by CalmView© 2008-2010