Click here to skip to main content.
 
Repository Cheshire Record Office
Level Collection (Fonds)
Reference LBE
Title Ellesmere Port Borough Council records
Date 19th century-20th century
Description Minutes of Ellesmere Port and Whitby Urban District Council 1907-1908; Council minutes 1929-1937; Seal Registers May 1952-March 1974; declarations of acceptance 1902-1973; Register of disclosures and general notices by members 1934-1974. Catalogue of Corporation insignia, robes of office, corporation plate and other gifts 1956; reports, petitions and map for the grant of a charter of incorporation Feb 1952-July 1952 to create the municipal borough of Ellesmere Port; Copy of the armorial bearings of the borough of Ellesmere Port granted by letters patent, 6 Oct 1955,grant of arms 1955; yearbooks 1937-1974; minutes 1915-73 (printed with gaps); papers and maps relating to petition for charter of incorporation 1952; files c1950-70; annual abstracts of accounts (with gaps) 1956-1968; Medical Officer's reports 1942-72; registers of notifiable diseases 1940-73; register of deaths 1949-57; correspondence of Medical Officer of Health, Clerk to the Council and surveyor to the Council 1912-1925; registers of mortgages 1890-1972; notice dated 21 Oct 1911 of the intention to apply to the Local Government Board for authority to prepare town planning scheme; notice dated 28 Feb 1913 of exclusion of land from proposed town planning scheme map of highways declared to be new streets under the Public Health Act, 1925, sec.30; Housing scheme plans: 80 houses to be erected on land between Princes Road and Flat Lane, Ellesmere Port 1920s; record of War Damaged Buildings 1940-41;Street Directory of borough of Ellesmere Port,n.d;Planning report concerning future extensions of town centre and related problems, Dec 1962; newspaper supplement to Liverpool Daily Post, 29 March 1966 on Ellesmere Port:the modern town planned for modern industry;;reference documents referred to in town clerks report to Planning committee relating to Ellesmere Port shopping study and metrolands proposal, 1966; borough traffic and transport plan 1969; County Council Planning Department map showing existing and proposed shopping developments and propsed metrolands development, Jan 1971; plans of route of proposed Shell oil pipeline, Eastham to Stanlow, 1965; Building Control registers c1893-1975; Planning application registers 1948-1974; Planning files 1947-1955; Combined Planning and Building Control files 1971-1972; Building Control plans c1893-1974 (including Ellesmere Port UDC and Borough of Ellesmere Port); Planning and Building Control records relating to the construction of the Vauxhall plant at Ellesmere Port 1960-1970; Indexes to planning and building control application c1947-2002 by street; correspondence and photographs relating to Rivacre Valley Swimming Baths, including souvenir guide relating to opening 1934-1951. souvenir programmes for Charter Day, May 1955, for Civic Hall official opening May 1955, for Central Library opening May 1962, for Joseph Groome Towers opening 1967, for Ellesmere Port Swimming pool official opening, April 1969; for official opening of Westminster Bridge, Ellesmere Port, 29 July 1961; portrait photograph of William Stockton ( first chairman of the Urban District Council and Chairman 1902-1909,1911-1913 and 1919-1923); report on representations made to Secretary of State for Environment on government proposals for reorganisation of local government in England, May 1971; Plan showing borough of Ellesmere Port and its wards;Town map showing development plan for administrative county.
Administrative History The Urban District of Ellesmere Port and Whitby was constituted 1 Apr 1902, consisting of the Civil Parish of Whitby (including Ellesmere Port) from within the Rural District of Wirral. The Civil Parishes of Overpool, Netherpool, Stanlow and Great Stanney were added to the Urban District 1 Apr 1910. The Urban District of Ellesmere Port and Whitby was reconstituted as the Urban District of Ellesmere Port as from April 1933, with the inclusion of the Civil Parishes of Childer Thornton, Little Sutton, Great Sutton, Hooton, Ince and part of Thornton-le-Moors. A Royal Charter of Incorporation was granted 29 Mar 1955 and came into force 23 May 1955 which created the Borough of Ellesmere Port, a Municipal Borough consisting of the former Urban District. The Borough was dissolved 31 Mar 1974 on the establishment of Ellesmere Port and Neston Borough Council.
Powered by CalmView© 2008-2010