Click here to skip to main content.
 
Repository Cheshire Record Office
Level Collection (Fonds)
Reference LBM
Title Macclesfield Borough Council
Date 1261-1974
Description Charters 1261-1684, orders and minutes 1619-1974, burgess rolls 1770-1915, letter books and files c. 1815- 1974, memoranda books and registers c. 1782-1974, financial records 1709-1974, wages books 1875-1962, rate books and valuation records 1853-1972, public health, markets and weights and measures registers and records 1890-1966, medical officer's reports 1880-1971, planning decision notices 1948-1974, building plans and records 1891-1940, plans and sections public baths 1900-1914, enclosure award and map 1804. Macclesfield Local Board of Health: Minutes 1852-77
Administrative History Macclesfield constituted a portion of the royal demesne of the earls of Mercia who held a court there for the ancient hundred of Hamestan and it is mentioned in the Domesday Survey (1086) as one of the seats of Earl Edwin. It was made a borough by Randle or Ranulph, earl of Chester (1181-1230) and it then had 120 burgesses. In 1260-1261, Prince Edward , earl of Chester granted to the burgesses a charter of privileges, which was confirmed in 1334, 1390, 1465 and 1564. Elizabeth's charter of 1564 made the town a corporate body. This charter was confirmed in 1678 and 1684.

Under the 1832 Reform Act, the most populous part of the adjoining townships of Sutton and Hurdsfield were added to form a parliamentary borough returning two members of parliament and under the Municipal Corporation Act 1835, the borough was divided into six wards. The 1868 Boundary Act enlarged the borough to include part of Tytherington and under the Redistribution of Seats Act 1885, parliamentary representation merged into that of the Macclesfield division of the county.

By the County of Chester Review Order 1936, parts of the parishes of Fallibroome, Gawsworth, Upton, Hurdsfield, Tytherington and Sutton were added to the borough.

In April 1974, the former municipal borough amalgamated with Alderley Edge, Bollington, Knutsford and Wilmslow urban districts and Bucklow, Disley and Macclesfield rural districts to form the new Macclesfield Borough Council.
Related Material Later building plans for Macclesfield Borough are contained in accs. 3933 and 4425.
URL http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/records.aspx?cat=017-lbm&cid=0
Powered by CalmView© 2008-2010