RepositoryCheshire Record Office
LevelCollection (Fonds)
ReferenceLGO
TitleNorthwich Poor Law Union, including workhouse records
Date1836-1976
DescriptionBoard minutes 1883-6, 1920-5, financial records 1836-1929; workhouse records (Northwich Institution): registers of births and deaths 1849-1976, inmates 1919-46, creeds 1872-1942, admission and discharge 1938- 50; master's reports 1940-8, visitors' reports and observations 1935-53, medical officer's reports 1937-53, offences and punishment book 1935-48, indoor relief records 1932-58, domestic accounts 1918-68, inmates' contributions registers 1949-65, inventory 1936-58, record of drugs dispensed 1939-45
Extent1.09m3
Administrative HistoryNorthwich Poor-Law Union was formed on 20 October 1836, and included the following parishes and townships: Acton [nr. Weaverham], Allostock, Anderton, Barnton, Birches (until 1892), Bostock, Byley, Castle Northwich (until 1894), Clive, Cogshall, Comberbach, Crowton, Croxton (until 1892), Cuddington [nr. Weaverham], Darnhall, Davenham, Delamere, Eaton [nr. Davenham], Eddisbury, Goostrey cum Barnshaw (until 1867), Hartford, Hulse (until 1892), Kinderton (from 1894), Kinderton cum Hulme (until 1894), Lach Dennis, Leftwich, Little Budworth, Little Leigh, Lostock Gralam, Low Oulton (until 1892), Marbury, Marston, Marton [nr. Winsford], Middlewich, Mooresbarrow with Parme (until 1892), Moulton, Nether Peover, Newhall [nr. Davenham] (until 1892), Newton [nr. Middlewich] (until 1894), Northwich, Oakmere, Occlestone (until 1892), Onston (until 1892), Over, Ravenscroft(until 1892), Rudheath, Shipbrook (until 1892), Shurlach (until 1892), Sproston, Stanthorne, Stublach (until 1892), Sutton [nr. Middlewich] (until 1892), Wallerscoat (until 1892), Weaver (until 1892), Weaverham, Wharton, Whatcroft, Wimboldsley, Wincham, Winnington, and Witton cum Twambrooks (until 1894).

The Union Workhouse was opened in 1839 at 162 London Road, Leftwich. After 1930 it was known as the Northwich Institution, later Weaver Hall Elderly Persons' Home (1948-1968). In 1977 the building became the home of Northwich Salt Museum, later renamed as the Weaver Hall Museum and Workhouse.
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2024