RepositoryCheshire Record Office
LevelCollection (Fonds)
TitleGreat Boughton and Tarvin Poor Law Union
DescriptionBoard and committee minutes 1837-1929, Rural Sanitary Authority ledgers 1878-1890
Physical Description34 volumes
Administrative HistoryGreat Boughton Poor-Law Union was formed on 17 May 1837, and on 14 March 1871 its name was changed to Tarvin Poor-Law Union. It included the following parishes and townships: Aldersey, Aldford, Ashton, Bache, Backford, Barrow, Barton, Beeston (from 1892), Blacon cum Crabwall, Bridge Trafford, Broxton, Bruen Stapleford, Buerton [nr. Aldford], Burton [nr. Tarvin], Burwardsley (from 1892), Caldecott, Capenhurst, Carden, Caughall, Chorlton by Backford, Chowley, Christleton, Church Shocklach (from 1895), Churton by Aldford, Churton by Farndon, Churton Heath, Claverton (from 1860), Clotton Hoofield, Clutton, Coddington, Cotton Abbotts, Cotton Edmunds, Crewe by Farndon, Croughton, Dodleston (until 1853), Duckington (until 1853), Duddon, Dunham on the Hill, Eaton [nr. Chester] (until 1853), Eaton [nr. Tarporley] (from 1892), Eccleston (until 1853), Edge (until 1853), Edgerley, Elton [nr. Helsby], Farndon, Foulk Stapleford, Golborne Bellow, Golborne David, Grafton, Great Boughton, Great Saughall (until 1853), Great Stanney, Guilden Sutton, Handley, Hapsford, Harthill, Hatton [nr. Tattenhall], Hawarden [Flintshire] (until 1853), Higher Kinnerton [Flintshire] (until 1853), Hockenhull, Hoole, Horton by Malpas, Horton cum Peel, Huntington, Huxley, Iddinshall, Ince, Kelsall, King's Marsh, Lea by Backford, Lea Newbold, Little Saughall (until 1853), Little Stanney, Littleton, Lower Kinnerton (until 1853), Marlston cum Lache (until 1853), Mickle Trafford, Moston [nr. Chester], Mouldsworth, Newton by Chester, Newton by Tattenhall, Picton, Poulton (until 1853), Prior's Heys (from 1861), Pulford (until 1853), Rowton, Rushton (from 1892), Saighton, Saltney [Flintshire] (until 1853), Shocklach Oviatt (from 1895), Shotwick (until 1853), Shotwick Park (until 1853), Stanlow (from 1861), Stoke [nr. Ellesmere Port], Stretton [nr. Tilston], Tarporley (from 1892), Tarvin, Tattenhall, Thornton le Moors, Tilston, Tilstone Fearnall (from 1892), Tiverton (from 1892), Upton by Chester, Utkinton (from 1892), Waverton, Wervin, Willington, Wimbolds Trafford, and Woodbank (until 1853).

The Union Workhouse was opened in 1857 at Heath Lane, Great Boughton. After 1930 it became Tarvin House Hospital (later elderly persons' home), until it closed in the 1960s, and the buildings were demolished.
Related MaterialSee also ZRGT
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2024