Click here to skip to main content.
 
Repository Cheshire Record Office
Level Collection (Fonds)
Reference LRC
Title Congleton Rural District Council records
Date 19th century-20th century
Description Minutes 1895-1974, financial records 1895-1974, rate books and valuation records 1895-1969, housing registers and records 1921-48, registers of building plans 1950-1974, property register 1960s, sanitary inspector's report books 1925-36 and other records 1924-54, medical officer's reports 1951-70 and register of infectious diseases 1943-53, watersupply schemes, c.1930-58, map and papers relating to proposed new town of Congleton, 1951, register of accommodation of evacuees c. 1940- 5. Congleton Rural Sanitary Authority: Minutes 1872-94, financial records 1873-94, rate books and valuation records 1875-94. Betchton: overseers 1881-1927, parish council 1896-1918. Blackden: overseers 1906-27. Cotton: overseers 1906-27 Cranage: overseers 1916-27. Davenport: overseers 1915-27. Elton (Warmingham): overseers 1896-1924, parish meeting and parish council 1894-1937. Goostrey: overseers 1906-20
Administrative History Congleton Rural Dstrict Council was established in 1894. Previously it had been governed by a Rural Sanitary Authority from 1872. The District Council comprised the townships of Arclid, Betchton, Blackden, Bradwall, Brereton cum Smethwick, Cotton, Cranage, Davenport, Elton, Goostrey cum Barnshaw, Hassall, Church Lawton, Leese, Moreton cum Alcumlow, Moston, Newbold Astbury, Odd Rode, Radnor, Smallwood, Somerford, Somerford Booths, Swettenham, Tetton, Twemlow and Wheelock.

In 1936 Blackden, Brereton cum Smethwick, Cotton, Davenport, Goostrey cum Barnshaw, Kermincham, Leese, Moston and Wheelock were dissolved, Brereton and Goostrey were created, and Radnor was united with Somerford.

In 1974, it amalgamated with the former Congleton Borough Council and Alsager, Middlewich and Sandbach Urban District Councils to form the new Congleton Borough Council.
Powered by CalmView© 2008-2010