Click here to skip to main content.
 
Repository Cheshire Record Office
Level Collection (Fonds)
Reference LRM
Title Macclesfield Rural District Council records
Date 19th century-20th century
Description Minutes 1895-1974; deeds 1807-1944; financial records 1895-1974; rate books and valuation records 1921- 73; planning decision notices 1948-1974; sanitary inspector's journals 1937-51, medical officer's register of infectious diseases 1943-50, report 1963. Macclesfield Rural Sanitary Authority: Minutes 1872-94, financial records 1877-94
Administrative History Macclesfield Rural District was administered by a Rural Sanitary Authority form 1872 to 1894. The Rural District Council was established under the 1894 Local Government Act.

Townships:The District Council comprised the following civil parishes: Adlington, Birtles, Bosley, Butley, Capesthorne, Chelford, part of Chorley, Eaton, Fallibroome, Gawsworth, Great Warford, Henbury cum Pexall, Hurdsfield, Kettleshulme, Lower Withington, Lyme Handley, Macclesfield Forest, Marton, Mottram St Andrew, Nether Alderley, Newton, North Rode, Old Withington, Over Alderley, Pott Shrigley, Poynton with Worth, Prestbury, Rainow, Siddington, Snelson, Sutton, Taxal, Tytherington, Upton, Wildboarclough, Wincle and Woodford.

Later developments: In 1936, the civil parishes of Birtles, Butley, Capesthorne, Fallibroome, Henbury cum Pexall, Lower Withington, Old Withington, Newton, Taxal, Tytherington, and Upton were dissolved and Withington was created. In 1939, Woodford was dissolved. In 1974, Macclesfield Rural District amalgamated with several neighbouring urban and rural districts to form the new Macclesfield Borough Council. See LDM for post 1974 records
Powered by CalmView© 2008-2010