Click here to skip to main content.
 
Repository Cheshire Record Office
Level Collection (Fonds)
Reference LRW
Title Wirral Rural District Council records
Date 19th century-20th century
Description Council and committee minutes 1895-1930; Wirral Highway Board minutes 1863-1895, cash books 1883-87
Administrative History Wirral Rural District Council was established in 1894. Previously it had been governed by a Local Board of Health from 1872 to 1894. Wirral Rural District Council encompassed the following parishes - Arrowe, Barnston, Bidston cum Ford, Brimstage, Burton, Caldy, Childer Thornton, Eastham, Frankby, Gayton, Grange, Greasby, Great Sutton, Heswall cum Oldfield, Hooton, Irby, Landican, Ledsham, Little Sutton, Moreton, Ness, Netherpool, Newton cum Larton, Noctorum, Overpool, Pensby, Poulton cum Spital, Prenton, Puddington, Raby, Saughall Massie, Storeton, Thingwall, Thornton Hough, Thurstaston, Upton by Birkenhead, Whitby, Willaston and Woodchurch. Whitby constituted Ellesmere Port and Whitby Urban District in 1902 and Netherpool and Overpool were transferred to that urban district in 1910. In 1928, Landican, Prenton and Thingwall were transferred to Birkenhead Borough and Moreton was transferred to Wallasey Borough. Wirral Rural District Council was dissolved in 1933 when its constituent parishes were transferred to Birkenhead Borough, Bebington, Ellesmere Port, Hoylake and Wirral Urban Districts, and Chester Rural District.
Powered by CalmView© 2008-2010