Click here to skip to main content.
 
Repository Cheshire Record Office
Level Collection (Fonds)
Reference LUR
Title Runcorn Urban District Council
Date 19th century-20th century
Description Minutes 1895-1957, financial records 1895-1971, year books 1895-1916, letter books 1933-40, registers 1921-67, rate books and valuation records 1895-1973, public health inspector's records including registers and records of canal boats 1895-1977, surveyor's records 1895-1923, building plans 1895-1970, medical officer's records 1914-68 including registers of births and deaths 1923-67, libraries and museums reports 1956-1964; newscuttings 1881-1960; submission re local government re-organisation 1971. Runcorn Water Board records 1920-70, Runcorn Divisional Health Committee records 1948-71. Runcorn Improvement Commissioners: Minutes 1851-94, proceedings 1885-94, financial records 1853-94, rate books and valuation records 1851- 90, registers of canal boats 1878-94, building plans 1893-5.
Administrative History Runcorn Urban District Council was established in 1894 and was divided into six wards. Previously it had been governed by the Runcorn Board of Improvement Commissioners which was created by a special Act of Parliament, the Runcorn Improvement Act, on 17 June 1852. In 1933 and 1936 the parish of Weston and parts of the parishes of Clifton, Halton and Norton were added and the district was then divided into seven wards. In 1974 it amalgamated with parts of Runcorn Rural District Council and with Widnes Borough Council to form Halton Borough Council. [See: LDH list for post 1974 records].
Powered by CalmView© 2008-2010