Click here to skip to main content.
 
Repository Cheshire Record Office
Level Collection (Fonds)
Reference NHW 1
Title Warrington Dispensary and Infirmary
Date 1810-1981
Description Administrative and financial records including minutes of committees and annual reports and records relating to staff and patients (Tuberculosis cases only)
Administrative History The Warrington Dispensary opened for the admission of patients on 10 April 1810, for 'the relief of the Sick Poor in this Town and Neighbourhood', offering out-patient facilities. In 1842, a small infirmary and house of recovery was opened, but within 12 years, the building was leased as a militia store; leaving only the Dispensary in Buttermarket Street. Finally in 1872, in-patient facilities were provided by the generosity of James Hatton, and, for some years the Infirmary was known as the as the Hatton Charity. A new Hospital building was opened in 1877. In 1948, when it ceased to be a voluntary hospital and came under the control of the Warrington and District Hospital Management Committee, it had 172 beds. The building was demolished in December 1980.
Thumbnail

Warrington Dispensary and Infirmary

Powered by CalmView© 2008-2010