Click here to skip to main content.
 
Repository Cheshire Record Office
Level Collection (Fonds)
Reference ZHE
Title Ellesmere Port Hospital
Date 1919-1948
Description This hospital originated in a military hospital founded by the British Red Cross Society in 1914. It was closed at the end of the First World War, but reopened as Ellesmere Port Cottage Hospital in 1919. In 1948, it became part of the National Health Service and in the early 1980s, major new additions were constructed. The records comprise minute books and a surgical case book.
Extent 7 volumes
Location Please note that parts of this collection are held offsite. Please contact Cheshire Archives and Local Studies in advance of your visit if you wish to view these records.
Access Conditions PartlyAccess to records containing personal information is subject to the requirements of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and the Data Protection Act 2018.heldAccess to records containing personal information is subject to the requirements of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and the Data Protection Act 2018.offsite-consultAccess to records containing personal information is subject to the requirements of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and the Data Protection Act 2018.staff
Administrative History Ellesmere Port Hospital originated in a military hospital founded by the Red Cross Society in 1914. Heathfield House on Chester Road was bought from the Mansfield family and used during the First World War to nurse wounded soldiers transferred from Fazakerley Hospital. The hospital was staffed by members of the Voluntary Aid Detachment, trained by a local lady, Mrs. Johnstone. At the end of the war, the hospital received a certificate from the War Office in recognition of its work and was closed down.

Heathfield House was subsequently purchased by Ellesmere Port and Whitby Urban District Council, with the help of Mr. Highfield Jones, owner of the Mersey Iron Works. A local committee was formed, which held its first meeting in May 1919, leading to the opening of Ellesmere Port Cottage Hospital later the same year. Contributions of more than £250 per month were received in order to keep the hospital open and the Ministry of Health Voluntary Hospital Commission granted £70 per annum to the House Committee.

In 1926, two new wards were added to the existing building and central heating was installed in 1928. The out patients department opened in 1939 and in 1940, a new operating theatre and casualty and X ray departments were opened. There were further alterations to the hospital in 1950 and in the early 1980s, major additions were constructed and the number of beds increased from 34 to 100.
Related Material For minutes of Ellesmere Port Hospital House Committee, 1962-65, see HB/18.
Powered by CalmView© 2008-2010