Click here to skip to main content.
 
Repository Cheshire Record Office
Level Collection (Fonds)
Reference ZCR 222
Title Presbyterian, then United Reformed Church
Date 1847-2005
Description Register of baptisms 1852-2001; marriage registers 1955-2003; communicants' rolls; minutes; accounts; newsletters; correspondence; plans
Administrative History The first Presbyterian to minister in Chester was the Rev. Matthew Henry (1662-1714), whose chapel in Trinity Street opened in 1700. However, the chapel congregation later departed from orthodox Trinitarianism. A revival of Presbyterianism took place in the 1840s, largely owing to Scottish influence. A preaching station was established in a disused Baptist chapel in Pepper Street and a minister was appointed in 1852. The steady growth of the congregation led to the opening of the English Presbyterian Church in Newgate Street in 1860. St. Andrew's Newgate Street (ZCR 222) This church opened in 1860 and in 1930 was officially renamed St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church of England. In 1972, it became part of the United Reformed church and became a joint pastorate with Handbridge in the 1990s. The church closed in April 2005.
Powered by CalmView© 2008-2010