Click here to skip to main content.
 
Repository Cheshire Record Office
Level Collection (Fonds)
Reference ZCR 294
Title Chester Co-operative Society Ltd
Date 1884-1968
Description Chester Co-operative Society was established in 1884. The first grocery shop opened in Black Diamond Street and a branch shop was opened in Watergate Street in 1885. In 1905, the Society's premises in Foregate Street were developed into a department store. A café was opened in Foregate Street in the 1930s and a pharmacy was opened in Frodsham Street in 1939. During the 1940s and 1950s, the Society expanded, opening many new branches outside Chester. In 1967, the Chester Co-operative Society was taken over by the Birkenhead Co-operative Society and in 1984, the Foregate Street store was closed. The records include minutes; accounts; registers of goods; stock sheets; and reports.
Extent 236 volumes., 148 documents., 65 bundles, 49 files, 72 other items
Location Held offsite - consult staff
Access Conditions held offsite -consult staff
Powered by CalmView© 2008-2010