Click here to skip to main content.
 
Repository Cheshire Record Office
Level Collection (Fonds)
Reference ZCR 418
Title Chester Baptist records
Date 1886-1953
Description The Baptist cause in Chester dates from the later seventeenth century. Baptists met at various places in the city, including the Matthew Henry Chapel, c 1706-68, until a chapel was opened in Commonhall Street, c.1777. The congregation moved to a new chapel in Hamilton Place, c.1806. A second chapel opened in Pepper Street, c.1833-34 and this was later used by the congregation which moved to Grosvenor Park in 1880. Missions were established in the later nineteenth century in Milton Street and Westminster Road, Hoole. Grosvenor Park (CR 418) This church opened in 1880, following the closure of the chapel in Pepper Street, which had been used by the congregation since 1871. The church closed in the late 1970s and the congregation moved to Upton. The records comprise minute books. 9 volumes. 1886-1953
Powered by CalmView© 2008-2010