Click here to skip to main content.
 
Repository Cheshire Record Office
Level Collection (Fonds)
Reference ZCR 517
Title Chester Ladies Hockey Club
Date 1933-1986
Description Minutes; membership, financial and administrative records and newscuttings
Extent 34 items
Location Parts of this colection held offsite
Administrative History The origins of Chester Ladies Hockey Club go back to the First World War, when staff at the local Army pay office and their friends formed a club which played mixed matches for men and women. In 1919, the club decided to admit outsiders and called itself Chester Casuals Hockey Club. There were two men's teams and two women's teams.
Chester Casuals Hockey Club continued until 1925, when the men's teams were disbanded. The ladies teams continued however and in 1926, with new colours, became Chester Ladies Hockey Club. The club's first president was Dr. W. J. Griffiths, the first secretary was Miss G. Wilding and the first treasurer, Miss N. Manger.
Over the years, the club has produced, county, territorial and international players. Two members were selected to play for an England team against Zimbabwe in 1981 and one member was chosen to play for an England B Squad in 1984. The club celebrated its 60th anniversary in 1986
Mrs Senior joined the club as a player in 1934 and became honorary treasurer in 1942.
Powered by CalmView© 2008-2010