Click here to skip to main content.
 
Repository Cheshire Record Office
Level Collection (Fonds)
Reference ZG 20
Title Smiths Cutlers and Plumbers Company
Date 1637-1996
Description Minute books, 1679-1994; account book, 1637-1902; book of fines, 1653-1678; admission forms, 1755-1983; lists of aldermen, stewards and brethren between 1755 and 1955.
Extent 5 volumes; 1 bundle; 9 items
Administrative History The Smiths Company was in existence by the late 15th century as it is amongst those companies listed in the mayor's book for 1475-76. In 1501, the cutlers, pewterers, founders, cardmakers, girdlers, arrowhead makers, wiredrawers and spurriers appear to have been associated with the smiths in the same company. However, in 1521, the founders and pewterers still had their own stewards, who made an agreement with the stewards of the smiths, to combine for the Whitsun play, the Corpus Christi procession and the maintenance of the priest of St Loy's Chapel.The plumbers were incorporated in the company in the early 17th century. In the 17th and 18th centuries, the company had its own meeting house in Commonhall Lane. However, this was sold in 1778 and meetings were subsequently held in an inn.
Powered by CalmView© 2008-2010