Click here to skip to main content.
 
Repository Cheshire Record Office
Level Collection (Fonds)
Reference QPW
Title Wirral Petty Sessions records
Date 1872-1967
Description General court registers 1904-1963. Juvenile court registers 1933-1952. Licensing registers 1872-1964. Other records 1878-1967.
Location Please note that parts of this collection are held offsite. Please contact Cheshire Archives and Local Studies in advance of your visit if you wish to view these records.
Access Conditions Magistrates court records are closed for 30A years; and records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998
Administrative History Formed in 1828 from all the townships in Wirral Hundred, namely: Arrowe, Backford, Barnston, Bidston cum Ford, Birkenhead, Blacon cum Crabwall, Brimstage, Bromborough, Burton (nr. Neston), Caldy, Capenhurst, Childer Thornton, Chorlton by Backford, Claughton with Grange, Croughton, Eastham, Frankby, Gayton, Grange, Greasby, Great Meolse, Great Mollington, Great Neston, Great Saughall, Great Stanney, Great Sutton, Heswall cum Oldfield, Higher Bebington, Hoose, Hooton, Irby, Landican, Lea by Backford, Ledsham, Leighton (nr. Neston), Liscard, Little Meolse, Little Mollington, Little Neston, Little Saughall, Little Stanney, Little Sutton, Lower Bebington, Moreton, Ness, Netherpool, Newton with Larton, Noctorum, Overpool, Oxton, Pensby, Poulton cum Seacombe, Poulton cum Spital, Prenton, Puddington, Raby, Saughall Massie, Shotwick, Shotwick Park, Stanlow, Stoke (nr. Ellesmere Port), Storeton, Thingwall, Thornton Hough, Thurstaston, Tranmere, Upton by Birkenhead, Wallasey, West Kirby, Whitby, Willaston (nr. Neston), Woodbank and Woodchurch.

In 1871 the townships of Backford, Blacon cum Crabwall, Capenhurst, Croughton, Great Mollington, Great Saughall, Great Stanney, Lea by Backford, Little Mollington, Little Saughall, Little Stanney, Shotwick, Shotwick Park, Stanlow, Stoke (nr. Ellesmere Port), Whitby and Woodbank, were transferred to the new Chester Castle division [see QPCa].

The townships of Birkenhead, Claughton, Oxton and Tranmere, were all transferred to the new Birkenhead (Borough) division in 1877 [records for this division are held at Wirral Archives].

The townships of Liscard, Poulton cum Seacombe and Wallasey, were all transferred to the new Wallasey (Borough) division in 1910 [records for this division are held at Wirral Archives]. In the same year the townships of Netherpool and Overpool were transferred to the Chester Castle division [see QPCa].

In 1933 the townships of Childer Thornton, Great Sutton, Hooton, Ledsham, Little Sutton and Puddington, were all transferred to the Chester Castle divisions [see QPCa], and there were adjustments with the boundaries of the Birkenhead (Borough) and Wallasey (Borough) divisions. The latter were both re-integrated into the Wirral division in 1974.

Wirral Archives also hold some records for Wirral petty sessional division.
Powered by CalmView© 2008-2010